5 REASONS WHY WE ARE LOSING OUR HISTORY PIECE BY PIECE
- Historic buildings and streetscapes once lost can never be replaced. These provide the sense of place that is unique to Mountain View; a vibrant, attractive, diverse downtown with walkable neighborhoods.
- There are approximately 75 projects being developed in Mountain View right now. (LINK H-1 MV website developments list) Many are in downtown and consist mostly of more and more offices. We have no plan of urban development to design and protect our city. Developers are making these decisions for us.
- We have no legal protections for any building anywhere regardless of how historic and/or unique.
- Lack of urban planning and design has already resulted in DEAD ZONES throughout our downtown and more are coming. DEAD ZONES are (definition). DEAD ZONES destroy retail destinations and discourage walkability.
- Our city government has failed to explore options to protect our treasured spaces. It can offer incentives, owner-developer transfer of rights, and with effective changes to our Precise Plan the city can say no to the destruction of buildings. Other cities have done these things.